View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #18
zardoz
Human being with feelings

Hey, just a couple of thoughts:

Re. effects, the beauty of recording in Windows (and Linux) is the sheer number of free plugins, many of which are much better than the paid ones. Check out KVR Forums, it's overwhelming what's out there.

Re. Linux, in your case I can see it working well. There's a project called KXStudio that has Reaper preconfigured in WINE to work with Jack, so all the tedious setup is done. VSTs work fine, and the latency is just unreal. KX is available as a distro, but most people just apply the PPAs to their fave OS (Just Ubuntu derivatives and Arch for now.)JACK is frankly a real bitch to deal with, but the routing possibilities and latency are incredible, especially when you throw a realtime kernel into the mix. Check out the discussion at LinuxMusicians forum if interested.

Re. latency, I feel it's overrated as a potential problem. My machine is only average but I often have multiple guitars going, each with multiple plugins, and my CPU doesn't come close to maxing out. If I ever run out of headroom it won't kill me to freeze a track or two. And as I say, if 2ms latency is a problem, just step 2 feet closer to your amp. When using headphones, computer latency actually beats reality, so I can't figure out why people make such a big deal about it.