View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #19
bbgunn
Human being with feelings

Alright Zed-heads! So far I'm liking the board. I have the audio labeled and working perfectly. I have the control surface functionality working. I have one key question - How do you guys handle stereo tracks?

The A & H is very configurable (which is nice) and there are about 5 ways you can set things up. In my case, I use a lot of Native Instruments plugins - primarily Kontakt and Guitar Rig. Obviously these plugins are stereo output being controlled by a single track fader. So, for example, lets say I create track one as a midi track feeding into Kontakt playing the Abbey Road 60's drum kit. This track is set to send to Zed 1 (left) and Zed 2 (right). On the Zed, channels 1 and 2 I select "Dig Return Pre-ins" (so I can use the EQ if I want) and "Fader=Midi" so I can control Reaper's faders in case I need to do automation. This makes fader one on the Zed control track 1 in reaper, but uses both channel 1 and 2 on the board, which means fader 2 is unused. I then record a mono bass track using the third input on the Zed, which is now really track 2 on Reaper, and on and on and on, Guitar on track 4 and 5 which is now really track 3 on reaper - it starts to get really confusing. It would have been nicer if Zed's channel strips were stereo instead of mono, but it is what it is. Or, if you could somehow link two faders in Reaper as one track it would be less confusing and you would have separate control over left and right. On one hand, I could choose to just mix on the board old school and record the master output back to the computer during mixdown, but then I would be giving up automation and rendering features on Reaper. I could also just focus on using the board as just a control surface for Reaper during mixdown, but then I am giving up the EQ's - which is one of the main reasons I wanted this particular unit.

Anybody else doing this a different way?
bbgunn is offline   Reply With Quote