View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #2026
Gizzmo0815
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmason View Post
It's not about tenacity, it's about defending a point of view I feel is truly valid and correct. And cutting through a lot of what seems like fuzzy thinking.
It IS about tenacity when you refuse to view music as art and attempt to force that impression on a thread full of people that quite plainly disagree. You won't convince us that your theories are true...I promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmason
No, I don't want to talk about gear per se, except when something is critical. In reality the whole thread is about *gear use* even if just recording software.
Wrong again.

The thread is about what Yep said it was about (studio technique regardless of gear)since he created the topic and all. I understand your desire to discuss the intricate details of why big studio sound sounds the way it does, but that can't be effectively done on a forum, and if it were a desire then start your own thread. Because HERE you are wildly off topic. But...I don't expect you'll stop. You have successfully highjacked the thread into oblivion at this point, why stop now.

Quote:
What I have done is postulate that the platitude, "Equipment doesn't matter" is a false one in many cases.
You are misrepresenting again. No one said equipment doesn't matter. I don't think anyone in the thread would agree with the statment "equipment doesn't matter". So you're trying to disprove a concept that no one believes in the first place...WHY? How pointless does this have to get?

Quote:
Like many hobbyists, many reasons why I simply can't from neighbors to cost.
Then you will never sound like you recorded your music in a big studio. This confuses you?

Quote:
I think I've definitely gotten a lot of flack for suggesting equipment is a major determinant. I think on this point we'll have to agree that your perception and mine of the degree of flack differs.
No, you get flack because you drove an excellent thread about recording TECHNIQUE into the depth of "gear matters most" hell.

Quote:
And many who claim expert status don't really provide any true solutions.
This is a backhanded jab at many of the experts who've contributed to this thread. A bit low in my opinion. But the true problem is that your ability to process what people are telling you is severely limited in scope. You are very focused on solving one small problem in a topic full of thousands of potential problems. Unfortunately 60 posts ago would have been a good time to diverge to another thread.

Quote:
Aside from Yeps mention of distortion on vocals and drums, nothing in here has really had a significant impact on the record quality I'm having.
That's probably because you dismiss it as so much fluff. Of the hundreds of people that have posted in this thread, you are the ONLY ONE who feels that the information here is has not significantly impacted their recordings.

If you're in a crowd and there's one guy that doesn't belong...and you can't find him...YOU'RE HIM.

Quote:
So the assness that I believe plagues most amatuer efforts, I don't feel this thread really addresses. Nor any info I've found in years of digging really.
Well if it ain't here you can stop looking

And if you haven't found the answers yet...in your decades of digging...well shit...why don't you try a different approach. Like stop worrying about tone, and specific gear, and nitnoid details that do nothing but waste your money (as you've pointed out several times) and your (precious) time.

Quote:
Seems most of what works ends up having to be "found" or tripped over. (As I've lived it, ain't sayin' that's universally true.
That's because there is no correct way to do anything musical.

Quote:
I have to disagree here. Line 6's marketing department implies and/or states directly, constantly in everything the write that thier tools accurately reproduce the sounds of classic tracks.

Has not been my experience in over 10 years of dabbling with thier stuff.
Then stop using their stuff. Do you enjoy banging your head against the wall?

Quote:
Thier approximations are often quite bogus. Not ONE of thier models of a master volume head, actually has a master volume algorithm, LOL! They really seem to have one model, with some tweaks, when you get right down to it. But, I can't see the source code.
And the answer behind door #1 is...Who the f*ck cares what they sound like, or don't sound like...

DO THEY SOUND GOOD?

Quote:
I think my point is being missed here. If thier stuff isn't up to it's claims, I'd like to see an authoritative studio guru say it in public loudly. If it really is up to snuff, I'd like to see said pro take a typical guitar, and step by step recreate a classic recording, i.e. prove it.
Why would any studio guru give a flying jumbalya salad what Line 6 does with their marketing? That studio guru is way too busy to bother...and he probably doesn't have an opinion except to say that if you can use the Line 6 gear to achieve your goal...use it. If you can't...don't.

Quote:
Buying and trying is what sucks. After a lifetime of the hunt, I'd hate to sit down and total up the amount of $$$ I went through in the search. Especially in this economy, when having that $$$ might've ended up keeping me off the street.
Yes...yes we all know. You've spent yourself out of house and home trying to hunt down "the perfect tone". Pity you.

Wait...why would be pity you if you have clearly done all of this hunting and spending of your own accord. If it's made you happy, then there is no judgement to be made. If it has made you frustrated...I humbly recommend you stop! Especially before you have to move under the bridge.
Gizzmo0815 is offline   Reply With Quote