Thread: AKAI EIE Pro
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #18
fortch
Human being with feelings

Default Good, but...

Just got one, thought I'd chime in (a little late). I have to say that I like it being class compliant, all that really means is that it stringently adheres to the USB 2.0 specification. The device does have a custom WDM driver, so it shouldn't rely the default driver (usbaudio.sys) in WDM mode. I know most people use ASIO, but that's as polarizing as a Ford vs. Chevy debate. For this, Akai definitely has an ASIO driver (see pics).

As to how it performs...it's solid. The VU meters are cool, but that wears off, especially if you are running more than 2 inputs -- they are selectable to inputs 1/2 or 3/4. It can also be configured to show INs or OUTs. Still, gimmicky as it is, it's a little nicer than a dim, slightly-blinking LED. This thing is a tank, too; my M-Audio felt like a plastic toy, while the Akai looks and feels like a hand-wired boutique tube amp. Although I dont generally use them, there are inserts for each channels, and I'll admit the USB hub is kinda handy. The only apparent drawback is the lack of any RCA outs, especially S/PDIF, which isn't a deal-breaker, but I came to rely on them in my last interface.

Outside of that, there is a slight problem On playback, at times there is a crackling sound that varies with input level. Seems to be on their forums too, although not everyone is experiencing it. I work around it for now, until Akai addresses the issue. While their support has historically been low-quality, employees moderate the forum, so issues are at least heard. I expect an updated driver anytime. Truthfully, in the world of USB interfaces, bad drivers seem commonplace. Overall, I like it -- low latency, 4 pre's and looks good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg akai.jpg (60.7 KB, 1929 views)
File Type: jpg akai3.JPG (42.1 KB, 948 views)