Thread: about recording
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2015, 01:08 AM   #6
Aymara
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlocki View Post
usb mic are better than normal?
As has been explained above, it depends. If you have a good mic, maybe one that uses phantom power, and you have an interface with good mic preamps, any USB mic will be the looser in such a comparison. But if the mic preamps totally suck, a good USB mic might lead to better results.

Mic choice is a very complex topic and mic recordings too, because mic position and room acoustics play a role too.

In your case I would recommend to record the same guitar part several times into the same Reaper project, but on different tracks. On each track choose a different setup to be able to compair by yourself. Let me explain, what I mean with setup:

First try different recordings with different mic/preamp combinations, though I would expect the Saphire to have better preamps, than any Behringer. In this first test always use the same mic position, that means angle and distance to the guitar. In a second test use different mic positions. You will notice, that e.g. a recording with a mic near the sound hole of the guitar sounds very different to the mic position near the neck.

As a final result I could imagine, that a combination of two recordings combined with EQ for each of the two tracks might sound best. But I assume here, that the guitar is the main instrument, which is desired be quite dominant in the whole mix.

If these tests shouldn't lead to a satisfying result, we could discuss, if alternative mics might help.

PS: The following article gives you some basic knowledge about acoustic guitar recording and explains my above thoughts in more detail:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug0...cacgtr0801.asp

Chris

Last edited by Aymara; 10-04-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote