View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #19
axeman
Human being with feelings

Default a brief update

Hi again,

Tested the unit for a little while yesterday and incurred my first serious dropout while still on the default (middle) latency setting. After raising the "ASIO thread priority" to the "highest" setting (and also unplugging my USB wireless), did not experience further dropouts during my relatively short test.

Also began experimenting to see if that ~21 ms monitoring latency would be problematic by trying to record a relatively simple guitar part with REAPER generating a constant metronome. Unfortunately, this turned out to be a huge hassle, as my timing consistently drifted (and my attempts at following the same metronome without monitoring the guitar through REAPER went just fine). On the bright side, I was able to find a reasonable blend of metronome and dry input signal by adjusting the "MIX" control on the US-1641. Note that, for an acoustic recording, the headphone levels were fine, but I'm wondering if achieving a similar blend for recording loud electric guitars may prove to be difficult (given the low direct-monitoring volume of the analog inputs).

So the jury is still out, but I plan to continue testing shortly (and possibly experiment with trying asio4all, just to see if it provides flexibility to improve any performance in regard to latency--although I suspect it may not).

Cheers,

Alan
axeman is offline   Reply With Quote