View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
The Telenator
Banned

So, 5 CPU hogs, and another 100 (but 'lighter') plugins, with CPU level at an average of 85%, you said, and you wonder what's wrong? For starters, everything is wrong.

Not a good idea to be running steadily at 85%. Just because your PC may be able to sustain that (and your symptoms indicate it can't), it doesn't mean you should.

Honestly, please explain how it is that you need 105 plugins running on any project. You do know what bussing and sends are, correct? If this is merely you testing your chunky CPU chip to see if it can 'take it', then you are sort of wasting our time.

Do you want advice? I'm assuming you do since you've gone to this much trouble so far to start a thread and post.

Advice: There is really no justification on earth for running a project so heavy. If a symphony orchestra, then you shouldn't be fooling with the recorded sound by slapping all these plugins on top of what they are playing in the first place. Honestly, I'm having trouble picturing exactly what it really is that you are up to here, besides masochism (yourself) and sadism (your chip).

Any large studio production running something that big wouldn't be posting their troubles on a forum, because they would know how to avoid them, so you can't be some experienced, large-scale studio. My conclusion: You are in way over your head. Keep to no more than 24 tracks and no more than the same number of plugins until you have learned more about how all this is done properly. I'd say, give it about a year and read up on good recording technique and sound etiquette. People here mentioned freezing and other ideas to avoid the huge bloat you have going on, but I didn't get the feeling that you were very interested in cutting down to a more reasonable level. I hope I'm wrong.

Didn't a little voice whisper in your ear somewhere along the way in this project and tell you that you had gone way beyond the rational and sane, considering how much software crud you have loaded and choking the life out of your tracks? If no little voice, then you need to go to school for what you are attempting to do, or perhaps go back to school if previously attended. While it gets a bit dodgy to generalise from afar, just by the few numbers provided I can tell you this is not how it's done. The 'glitching' is your CPUs shooting constantly to 99% from your 85. Trust me, it's happening even if you can't see it because of the usual sluggishness of whatever metering you are watching visually (another no no). I honestly can't understand where people in just the last few years somehow think it's okay to keep slapping on plugins and tracks without a second thought, but I'm seeing and hearing about a lot of it. Musically, this almost always produces very poor results.

Good Luck.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote