View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 01:52 AM   #434
nerdfactormax
Human being with feelings

I must thank you for these gems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yep View Post
Being that this engineer spends his days actually making records instead of prowling the internet for flame wars and gear debates, he makes the simple decision that recording to tape sounds better, and says as much whenever he is asked. He also feels that at least compressing and eq'ing in analog is preferable to digital. For obvious reasons he does not bother to spend weeks looking for freeware tape emulators and AB'ing them with his real Otari deck or whatever, he just tracks to tape first.

This perfectly legitimate opinion based on real and non-imaginary experience leads to a widespread misunderstanding that digital is somehow flawed or incapable of capturing the tiny details or nuance or warmth of real instruments.
I do not claim to have the answer to all questions and debates, just offering some food for thought next time your heart sinks when your favorite producer says he prefers the sound of tape.
Just what I suspected, but you won't hear it from any pro that I've met (which isn't many, though).
My town is certainly in the grip of analogue fever, and the few studios left wouldn't have it any other way.
Keep them gems comin'
nerdfactormax is offline   Reply With Quote