View Single Post
Old 02-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #42
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Scaling to other sizes is indeed possible. For now, along with the other layouts and other in-theme size layouts (small and large), I'm holding off because it would be a great deal of grunt work that would be more wisely tackled once the details are nailed down as to whether this is going to happen, how this is going to happen, and how I should best approach it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_ View Post
For an application to be scalable to arbitrary ratios with no blur, its GUI should be based on vector graphics.
Indeed, and that's assuming a vector renderer with smooth curve rendering, classy antialiasing, an understanding of things like pixel boundary snapping and line-weight visual optimisation for when the scaling is anywhere near the visible-pixel level. Reaper uses Cockos' LICE (lightweight image compositing engine) which is resolutely designed as a lightweight (as the name suggests) and very high-performance image engine. Its vector drawing looks like what it is : optimised for efficiency rather than beauty.

I would be very supportive of Reaper being able to parse an SVG, and then draw it beautifully at size using a (possibly entirely new) graphics engine. The former would be a little pointless without the latter; and the latter would be a very, very big feature request that could also be argued to run contrary to the principles of the REAPER project. My expectation is that, making realistic assumptions, the likelihood of that is very low.

The bitmap-based approach will cover a lot of ground for a lot of HiDPI users, I'm optimistic hopeful that the lack of arbitrary-scale perfection will be something the majority of users will be OK with.