View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 04:48 PM   #41
larrygates
Human being with feelings

Simple Addition to all Above

Noise is truthfully not your friend. Learn some simple techniques about Noise Reduction. Even with some of the best recording techniques, mix leveling techniques, Masking techniques, additive and subtractive EQ, great limiting / compression . . .

If there is lot's of low level / mid level background noise on your lead vox, bkg vox, guitar tracks, samples of drums, any source for that matter, it will multiply, compound itself making ones recording or song suffer. Nothing surgical, but a good idea of minimal noise reduction can go a long way for a lot of people.

This suggestion will not help at all, if one doesn't take the time to read through this thread and take advantage of the free knowledge given. But I can assure you, and any older people here will agree (as there was a time when Noise reduction wasn't even a question as it wasn't even a requirement, it was just THERE).

I'm sure there are free plugins that can get most people there, I would not suggest anyone go out and buy any analog or outboard noise reduction gear, as that won't really help much since our medium is pretty much IN = OUT now.

Also, learn how to use an Expander it's the small cousin of sophisticated noise reduction and it does wonders in our world of Uber Compression.

There is my addition for the world.

That no one cares about.
larrygates is offline   Reply With Quote