View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
larrygates
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I've been using a Kel Audio HM-1 for a couple of years (vocals and acoustic guitar) and have been happy with the results. Smooth and warm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuzz View Post
LT try re-amping the whole track as I suggested it will make a BIG difference !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LAter
Buzz
These are good examples of what will get you closer to what you want, I used to run through 2 Martech MSS-10 mic pre's then back into the DAW and record the 2 channels. That's great to do, because you can slam the shit out of "Real" mic pre's and they'll just sound good period, better than any plug in I know of. Grab a stereo mic pre - or 2 mono blocks (people here will have reasons as to why not go with 2 mono mic pres).

Second, judicial use of compression will go a very long way, both buss compression and individual tracks. When I say judicial I mean start slamming the knobs, use more intense settings as opposed to timid settings. Be careful though, as almost all plugins don't react well to what I just said.

Third, the use of free and pay distortion plug ins. In the league of BadBussMojo (which I think someone else mentioned in this thread) will get you the sound you want quick. But you'll have to learn how to use distortion and what it's for and what types get you woof sounds and what types get you biting sounds.

Fourth, grab Nebula 2 free, and learn how to render effects to the track, and treat the rendered track as if it's the real track and apply whatever methods you do as usual.

Then you'll be in the ballpark. Or don't believe a word I say.
larrygates is offline   Reply With Quote