View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
Julio
Human being with feelings

Default Channel->Keyswitch converter [now operational, and regenerating limbs]

Hi there, JSwamis.

I use many virtual instruments, and generally I find changing MIDI channels to be easier than using keyswitches which are outside of the instruments’ playable range, and thus tend to require lots of zooming and/or scrolling to see what’s going on. After prolonged exposure, this can lead to reap rage.

To remedy the situation, I’ve started fiddling around with some basic JS code in an attempt to use MIDI channels (that are not 1) to trigger keyswitches.

It’s working to some extent, but rather intermittently, and I have some questions.

1. Has anyone tackled this problem before, and has one working out of the box?
2. How long does a manufactured keyswitch have to be (in samples) to trigger an instrument change response?
3. Can the MIDI engine handle two events starting/finishing at the same sample time, or one starting/one ending? If not, what sort of distance does there need to be?
4. As a result of these factors, am I going to need to use memory buffers to bleed data over into the next block?
5. Is there anything else I’m missing or need to bear in mind?

Thank you in advance for any elucidation,
Julio

UPDATE: It’s here and working: you can download the latest version at https://stash.reaper.fm/2134/Midi_Channel_Keyswitcher

Last edited by Julio; 01-09-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote