View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #30
DeyBwah
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidcumb73 View Post
DeyBwah:

I thought the exact same thing, and in fact I think the User Guide states something very similar, but I had the same results. Things I programmed would not work. When I switched back to HyperControl everything works fine. I read the explanation on the M-Audio site and it didn't make since.
This is what the admin said regarding that.

"Just leave HyperControl mode set to normal. Transport only mode is intended to be used when the Axiom IS configured with HyperControl in a supported DAW."

Clears things up nicely.

Quote:
I was unable to figure out a way to program the encoders and sliders to control more than the first 8 tracks.
You have to use the MIDI channels to program the sliders and encoders to control more than 8 tracks volume/pan.

Here's what I posted on the M-Audio forums and the admin's response. This should get you on your way.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Question 1:

Right now, I'm trying to figure out a way to get my rotary encoders and slider controls to map to tracks pan/voume. I can get the first 8 simple enough, but I'm trying to figure out a way to change 'pages' on the Axiom pro so that the encoders and sliders send signals through a different CC. I was able to accomplish this somewhat with the rotary encoders because the encoders along with the trigger pads by default come with 4 pages. You can switch between the pages using the soft buttons under the LCD. But for some reason, they didn't do the same system for the sliders... to my knowledge that 4 page system is not implemented on the sliders. Why?!

Question 2:

I'm trying to wrap my head around how MIDI works in general... well, I have a good general understanding, but here's what I don't understand. If I go into edit>Global, I can choose what channel my Axiom Pro is sending its signal on. Say I switch this to channel 1. Now say I go to edit>zones, I can choose the channel in there as well. So what happens if I have my zones set up so zone 1 sends to channel 1, zone 2 to channel 2, etc, etc... but my global channel is set to 1?

Does the global channel setting override my zone channel settings? Example, zone 1, 2, 3, 4 all send to channel 1 regardless of what I have them set on, because the global channel select is channel 1? Or will those zones send to the channels I selected, overriding the global setting?

If someone could explain the above scenario and any other information that may help me understand how MIDI/Axiom Pro organizes the data sent to my DAW?

Question 3:

I noticed that when I set my mode to Transport in the edit window(option 7 I think), it doesn't allow me to program the F keys. If anyone is in front of their Axiom, can you confirm this? But if you put it in HyperControl mode, you can program the F keys. This is confusing, I thought if you're not using a DAW that supports HyperControl, you're supposed to switch it to Transport only, but that is limiting my ability to program buttons. Can someone confirm this behavior and/or add their 2 cents on why it might be that way?

------------------------------------------------------------------

Admin's reponse:

1. I don't specifically "why" there aren't pages of controls for the sliders like there are for the knobs. However, doesn't Reaper make control assignments based on MIDI CC and MIDI Channel? If you set the knobs/sliders/buttons to follow the global MIDI channel, you could then assign 2 of the F buttons to change the Axiom Pro's global MIDI channel, in effect, giving you the ability to bank through different groups of tracks (assuming you learned them in order; eg 1-8 on ch 1, 9-16 on ch 2, etc).

2. The Global Channel "can" control the MIDI channel of the keyboard globally, however, you must designate a control to follow the global channel for it to have any effect. So the global channel only affects controls that are assigned to the global channel. The Zone channel generally refers to the MIDI channel the keys in a particular zone transmit on (allowing you to setup splits and layers). You could setup a particular zone to follow the global channel, and you can also setup individual controls to follow the zone channel.

3. The HyperControl mode doesn't matter when not using HyperControl. I was still able to reprogram the function keys. Press Edit, 2, then use knob E2 to select the function key group, then use knob E3 to select which F button to edit.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
It discussed programming cc values and mentioned a 147 value. I thought cc values were 0 - 127. I wasn't sure if this was a typo or what.
You might want to poke in that thread and ask the admin, I would guess it's a type... unless CC numbers are not limited to 0-127 for some reason.

Quote:
I want to maximize the use of this controller and would like to share ideas of the best way to map the key functions. I am new to recording in general and am trying to get up to speed using Reaper as time allows. Between work commitments and two little girls under the age of 5, my time can be limted sometimes. I look forward to discussing this further with you and other forum members. If M-Audio won't provide the support I guess we will have to step up and do it.
I'll do my best to post what I know. I think I'm close to understanding how to use Axiom Pro and how MIDI works with it. I might try to compile a concise guide for REAPER users. But like you, I have 2 boys, 2 and 8 years old... between work and kids, it's rough man. But not impossible!
HDSPe | D-Box | MP500-NV | Essence | Obsidian | SM57 | Beta52 | Equi=Tech | CMS40 | HS80 w/HS10W http://soundcloud.com/deybwah | http://www.facebook.com/pages/DeyBwah/208627672487538 | http://twitter.com/#!/DeyBwah
DeyBwah is offline   Reply With Quote