View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 12:11 AM   #19
Smurf
Human being with feelings

Here is what I mean by 90%...

Once I have the tracks roughed in Reaper, mainly for the Midi parts, I will export them one at a time to a folder. It takes forever, but it is the only way ON MY SYSTEM to have the tracks come out sounding like they do in the rough.

I then Import these into Pt MP9 and then lay whatever else I need to. I then use it's native & bought RTAS effects plus it's editing & automation to get the tracks mixed. These are then rendered as stem's to a folder at the mix volume for each tracks.

I then import these into Mixbus, leaving the faders at 0. This way my "mix" sits the same way it did it PT. I then basically just run the tracks thru the Sub Groups, making sure that they are not triggering the Master Limiter. IF they are I reduce the volume of ALL the individual tracks to compensate.

In the "Mixbusses" I then make sure that the needles are staying between the -4 & +4 readings, and also do the same on the Master Out. Then I might use all the built in effects to tweak it a little, but mainly I use it as a big console/tape sat emulator. I have no tracks that I have permission to share with you, but the folks that have jumped on the Mixbus bandwagon will/are verifying that it DOES have a great sound to it, and enhances most everything that is run thru it.

Now, as for Track Names I have never had a problem with that. As for the tracks ending up taking 40 hours to import, and then being all over the track view, yes, I have that EVERY TIME! Ardour SUCKS on Windows, but lets be fair to Ardour. IT is made ONLY for Linux or Mac, Paul & the gang at Ardour do NOT make a Windows version of Ardour, and more than likely will not in the near future I would guess.

The Harrison group are the ones that brought Ardour, using it for the Mixbus foundation, to the Windows world...so any problems on the Windows side should be aimed at them really.

Here are a couple links to some videos that will give ya an overview of using Mixbus...

2 From Mixcoach.com

The Harrison YT Channel

Raines Broadcasting

Mixcoach has a tutorial called "Mixing in Mixbus v2 - Country" that is OK (I grabbed it for $16 when I bought Mixbus). The Harrison Channel has some good step-by-step stuff on it. Raines is supposed to be creating a series on using Mixbus.

All I can say about Ardour on AV Linux 6.0 is that it runs solid, imports audio as fast as PT (but not as fast as Reaper), and all the tracks are where they should be when it is done. I can not wait for AV Linux 6.01 with it's updates, including the new Ardour 3 with Midi & the newest Mixbus.

The pay-for linuxDSP effects that I have heard and/or used can stand side by side with most any plug in out there. Their Pultec clone is fantastic! They look good and they work solid in Linux. Their Windows counterpart is called OverTone DSP.

The free Calf plugins on the Linux side stand toe-to-toe with the native effects Reaper supplies IMHO, and have some nice GUI's. YES, they have some niggles, but overall you could use these to compliment Mixbus and never need to reach for another plugin for a project.

Hope this helps!!