View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #22
Faderjockey
Human being with feelings

I love when everyone complains about some one using so many plugs and they haven't even heard what they are doing.

I've easily gone over 105 many times..
I use satson (FX off) as my attenuator/filters.. I use VCC on most all tracks and then Busses.. And VTM. That right there can add up to a lot and can be hungry.. I'm sending out my busses to summing box and running through outboard as well on the 2buss before returning to Reaper.

I'll sometimes (most times) freeze those tracks. So the gain is set where I want it. I use VTM after satson so the tracks feel like they are going off tape.. Then I hit the VCC freeze all that.

I will then start using comps and EQ's and all other stuff. On big sessions it can still climb plugin count..depends on what's needed and what I was handed to mix. Stuff I track can be totally different then what I'm handed.
Some tunes hardly need plugs others I've done are insane scary..But in the end it sounded good and must have been needed because it wasn't sounding good until I was done of course.

Plus even with all that I'm using UAD2 stuff and I can still end up pushing my system a little to hard at times as well.

As far as the question to the OP..
Have you tried playing with the buffer size now that you're mixing and not tracking? I'm sure you've done that but just asking.

I've had sessions in the past that actually gave me lots of trouble with really medium amount of plugs nothing crazy.. Then I'd go to another project with more and it would run smoother. Just weird!

I would sometimes take that weird acting project move it to another drive and it would seem better. Then I would have to investigate the old drive it see if it was fragmented.. honestly never could get to the bottom of it.
I'm pretty picky about keeping sessions clean and lean but seems like some project folders and get weird at times..

Try moving the project if you have another drive to play it from.
Faderjockey is offline   Reply With Quote