View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 12:59 AM   #23
taigablues
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezmotivnik View Post
My assumption would be that you'd want to start with a scratch MIDI drumtrack built from loops to function as a glorified clicktrack that reflected the layout of the song, then a scratch rhythm guitar track to fill that out with the chord structure, then build from that, gradually replacing the scratch tracks with the real tracks, perhaps two or three times each by the time you're done, and adding your vocal tracks, instrumental breaks, wild noise, etc.
This is more or less how I record. We always write the basic structure of the song before we start recording - recording always works out much easier if you know what you want to record (at least the basics, wee overdub flourishes are fine as an afterthought) and if you've practiced your parts.

I would tend to start from either a basic click track or a scratch drum track to then start recording rhythm guitars and bass etc and then gradually refine the drums as we go along. Drums tend to be MIDI for us so it's easy to keep altering them. We hardly ever do scratch tracks for guitars or other instruments. Practice the parts first and then record them with a minimum of punching or overdubbing required. Flows better and has a more live feel IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezmotivnik View Post
[My eternal problem has been that scratch drum track, which means I'm really stuck in the gate. I have EZDrummer, a set of electronic drums that successfully gate it and even a SR-16 (never mind a bunch of actual drums), but I haven't yet figured out how to translate that into a properly assembled scratch track in Reaper. I'm sure it's very easy if you know how, but I don't. I've asked a few times about this here but have received no help.]
If you have EZ drummer you should be able to piece together a basic scratch drum track just by dragging the included MIDI grooves from the EZ Drummer window onto your drum track in Reaper. There you can then edit the MIDI as required to make it fit. Should be good enough for a glorified click... EZ Drummer has lots of decent grooves covering different styles built in. There has to be something there to get you started, I reckon.
taigablues is offline   Reply With Quote