View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
zardoz
Human being with feelings

The short answer is, yes. Reaper works great as an FX rack, and there are no issues with latency: depending on how you set things up you can run multiple plugins with 3ms latency, about the same as you'd get from a real amp if your head was 3 feet away from the speaker. (Mind you I've only ever seen this kind of performance in Linux . . . only recommended if you enjoy headaches.) With a regular D/A box, combined with ASIO4all, you can easily get 6ms on a medium-good machine.

Frankly I barely know how to work Reaper as a DAW, for over a year I used it purely as a practice amp. The Reaper built-in FX chainer is a thing of beauty: you can make custom presets for your plugins, then save the plugin chains. Curious whether the phaser sounds better before, or after the delay? Just click'n'drag them wherever you want; this is a bigger advantage than it might seem because small differences in sound are easily forgotten even in the small amount of time it takes to put the amp on standby and manually unplug/replug/restart the amp.

The JS plugins are much quieter than typical "stompbox" plugins, BTW, very nice.