View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Brado231
Human being with feelings

Yes, as Breeder showed you can't read exactly in the values provided by DPC latency checker under Windows 8 or 8.1 as incorrect values are reported. However, it is still useful to show DPC spikes. I used it extensively recently to track down an issue on Windows 8 where I was getting major audio dropouts (completely stops) every few minutes with DPC spikes around 96000us. I tracked the issue to a problem with the Intel Ethernet driver in my Lenovo laptop (Intel 82579LM) which Lenovo wont even acknowledge and Intel started to try to fix but it got all too hard without me providing them a laptop. The only way I have got it working ok under 8.1 (as 8.1 by default includes the problem driver from Intel) was to package up the base Windows 8 driver myself and install that under 8.1. This was a bit of mucking around.

That all being said I regularly notice little crackles in the audio in 8.1 which I didn't notice in 8.0 (when I had a working driver installed in 8.0). I think you are right, the audio has maybe taken a step backwards, but this could be a combination of many factors. I just have to find time to track them down.

BTW I found Windows 7 to be perfect... and in my eyes Win7 is leaps and bounds better than XP.
Brado231 is offline   Reply With Quote