View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
Gooey
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
So we're agreed, computers suck. ; )

- I only mentioned Win-specific plugins 'cause there are so many of them.

- Life is, indeed, too short to use Linux for music production. It's funny, for the average PC user it's probably easier than Windows now, and virus-proof to (pardon the pun) boot.

- Rockabilly, really? I still don't understand what you want from plugins that you can't get already. If not the vast ocean of Windows-specific freeware, then what?

- Linux-users hate people, they're not gonna move to your place and show you around. But if I can figure out some of it, then you can certainly figure out what you need to know.

- It's my understanding that Mac runs smoother and more logically than Windows, at least for very demanding applications. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've been having real problems getting Reaper to, you know, not crash every time I click on a totally unrelated app. Is this the kind of thing Mac does better? Personally I'd use a fucking dead dog as an OS if I could get it to work, couldn't care less. They're all great, but more to the point, they all suck.

Cheers.
It's not that I want functionality from plug-ins that surpass what I can get already. It's that I don't have any idea of what I can get already. I've never once used a plug-in of any kind. I want to start playing with the idea, particularly in the way that I'm describing here - "effects pedals" virtualized in a computer. I just don't want any cheesy stomp boxes in my signal path. I was hoping to hear from people here, what delays, reverbs and chorus effects (out of all the zillions that are available) they liked. But I can see now that asking that doesn't make much sense, because everybody is going to be into these things for different reasons. My concerns about things like conversion quantization resolution, etc. are not likely to matter to most people.

Thanks very much everybody though, for taking the time to answer me.
Gooey is offline   Reply With Quote