View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softshell View Post
Excellent post. Actually I've been thinking about setting up a rig specifically for this purpose. Run the guitar => DI or preamp => Audio card =>DAW w/ VST amp sims, etc. Monitor the track's output through a seperate out on the Audio card then into the outboard amp/ cab. Something like that. Haven't tried it, don't know if or how well it would work.

Problem with any of this is the cab has to be so loud that it's been difficult or more like impossible to monitor existing tracks while recording. Maybe some of those "Headcrusher" 'phones? Wondering how you do it?
I haven't actually done it (yet) but I when I record a real amp which is about 80% of the time right now, the headphones get loud enough to hear the mix so it should be fine. Note that when I record an amp I never feed that through the phones. That way if too loud the phones filter out some of the volume in the room. I actually almost always move the cup slightly off of one ear and adjust accordingly which becomes my method for adjusting how I hear the guitar in relation to the mix. I do the same with my vocals. Besides, it can cause pitch interpretation issues if the phones are too loud.

I should add one thing... After I made that post I went back and tried some of my own suggestions and I did come to one sobering conclusion. Most small and even some bigger monitors simply don't get loud enough, that's much of the issue. In otherwords I cranked the mids etc and it worked but was still a little lacking, I turned up the monitors and they began overloading before I could get to "loud enough". Part of that not loud enough is the fact they don't put out the ideal feedback sonics because they are full range speakers but it was also simply not enough SPLs.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote