View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #437
yep
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking allowed View Post
...Do you have any tips on the 'rattling snare' that happens during live recording in a small room? I figured out that low frequencies from the drums, guitar, bass all cause the snare's spring to rattle like crazy on certain notes. I swear that better drummers (with more expensive kits) don't have this problem as much. Am I crazy?
Good advice from Smurf about tuning. Also, decouple everything from the floor, especially bass amps. Sometimes the worst resonances come through the floor instead of through the air.

If the problem cannot be controlled, a neat alternative to sample-replacement is as follows:

Record the drum performance with the snare wires slack, to prevent buzzing. Then, take a guitar amp and lay it flat on its back. Send a gated snare track out to the guitar amp input so that the guitar amp is playing a short "pop" on each snare hit and nothing else. Now take the snare drum and place it face-down on top of the amp speaker. Turn up the volume and it's like a ghost is playing the snare. Set up a mic and you record your drummer's actual snare sound.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote