Thread: AKAI EIE Pro
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #13
Kenny
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaktus View Post
Hi, first post noob, please forgive.
So in my situation which is that I am new(ish) to computer recording and am acquiring the necessary ingredients for a halfway decent signal the number one advantage I see is that it has an insert for each channel. I would think that could be a nice budget-centric method of gradually incorporating higher quality pre's into my rig. I can't find any other interfaces in this price range (CHEAPASS) that has that fine little touch. Again, total noob so I would appreciate any input that is out there.
Your workflow may, and probably will, be different than mine, but I never use inserts, so that's a non starter for me. As a total newb, what will you be inserting? Unless you really know what you're doing it's unadvisable to EQ on the front end, as well as compression, which I only ever use when I need to pad the input (like drums peaking my converters with the preamp gain at 0), and in that case I put it after external preamps...so if I didn't have those, I would need an insert for that, but I don't think that's a common problem.

I like the scarlett and it may find it's way to my home one day.

--Edit, due to poor reading comprehension--
You don't need inserts to add preamps - the preamps will put out line level, so just plug them into the main inputs (of any interface), make sure it's set to "line" (if aplicable), and turn the gain down to 0.

Last edited by Kenny; 02-27-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote