View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
victoriousmusic
Human being with feelings

hey guys, been reading your posts on this subject and still have a couple ?'s related to my "non studio" Dell XPS (1st gen). It's in a spot I use to songwrite at times and just general usage..not my recording computer..But, like you I thought It'd be great to have Reaper installed and use for recording new ideas, putting parts together, etc..
Well, Reaper installs fine, but audio cracks and pops, delays sometimes too. The sample project that comes with the manual plays, but adding only 1 fx makes it screw up.
Before I go any further, let me give you specs:
Dell XPS Pent 4 3.4 ghz 2 gig ram XP SP3 45.1GB free disk space.
I have the M-Audio FTP on the laptop without issue.

I have tried altering the buffer rates, in both Reaper pref. as well as m audio settings with no better results. I just did registry cleaners (2), disk defragment, and compression..no help with the audio issues.

I have some Logitech speakers attached, due to the internal ones REALLY sucking..but when using the FTP I can't seem to get the audio to come out of the speakers, only listen through headphones and FTP..so I don't know if it sounds any better or not because I can't hear it from the speakers to tell. Is there a way to hook up one source for the inputs and another for the outputs. From what I read, the answer is no?
Would it help in any way to try asioforall, or would that only complicate matters worse?
I've thought of using the nlite xp version posted in other threads here, but then it seems that there are so many variables and things that could go wrong, for someone with as little knowledge about how computers really work as I do, that may not be wise.
Something seems to be keeping my CPU usage up around 40-60% no matter what I do..Any ideas on what this may be?

Thanks for any and all help. This laptop may just be ready for the dumpster, I don't know. I'm so happy I have a great computer in my studio now..when I first started with reaper, all I had was the Dell, since getting my new puter, WOW, what a difference. I would really love to get the Dell at least capable of running 3-4 tracks without issue though, if that's even possible?
victoriousmusic is offline   Reply With Quote