View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #18
axeman
Human being with feelings

Default new unit finally arrived (seems like a noticeable improvement so far)

Greetings,

Well, after waiting quite a while, my replacement US-1641 arrived yesterday. Unpacked the unit today, reinstalled the v1.01 driver, uploaded the v1.01 firmware, and performed a brief initial test.

Connected up a single microphone and created a new project in REAPER for testing (similar to what I had done before, although I also used an electric guitar through a S/PDIF-connected Johnson J-Station in the past as well). At default latency, I'm happy to report that I really didn't hear any clicks/pops/missing audio, except for a few brief occurrences when buttons on REAPER were pressed (start and stop mainly). Moved to the next lower latency setting and heard intermittent clicks within the first few seconds--but it didn't totally lock up like before.

In terms of the mix control, I'm sorry to report that the same level discrepancy exists as before. (The level when the mix control is set all the way to INPUT is, perceptually speaking, around 5-10 times softer than when moved all the way to the COMPUTER side--when monitoring through REAPER with all audio controls set to unity gain.) Will have to experiment a bit, but I fear that it may be virtually impossible to perform any overdubs while listening strictly to the INPUT (due to lack of comparative volume)--and, if this is the case, then I'll have to see if monitoring a performance with ~21 ms of latency is something I can reasonably adjust to. (With my E-mu 0404, I tend to monitor the input, via Patchmix, so there is no noticeable latency whatsoever. If I switch to monitoring through REAPER, though, the level remains identical [through the 0404].)

Am still more than a bit on the fence as to whether the interface will ultimately be acceptable--especially as I primarily record via overdubbing. Once again, would really appreciate additional feedback from anyone else who is using a US-1641 as well (as well as those who may have additional insight here).

Cheers,

Alan
axeman is offline   Reply With Quote