Thread: WDL-OL
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #98
cerberus
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by olilarkin View Post
I don't think you should rely on the GUI existing before SerializeState gets called.
putting this design question aside for a moment... i think this is sane advice, but i have a lot to learn yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by olilarkin View Post
If you need to pull values from the controls, test that the GUI exists and fill some defaults in if not. When you create your presets with MakePresetFromBlob() / MakePresetFromChunk() those presets should contain the serialized data that could come from the controls.

MakeDefaultPreset() previously didn't work at all with chunks (unless you override Un/SerializeParams) which it used to call
do we need to conflate presets and chunks just because one is using chunks for the state? i don't expect presets to change anything that isn't an enumerated IParam ( i.e. controls that can't be automated). So i am not using MakePresetFromBlob() or MakePresetFromChunk(). i was getting results with MakePreset() and MakeDefaultPreset() because they didn't affect the state data.

anyway i will talk with some colleagues about how my expectations, and my design are flawed... thank you for your help, oli!
cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote