View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #499
Nystagmus
Human being with feelings

Here it is 4 years later, and MIDI editing still suffers from the same weaknesses. Yet instead of improving and streamlining the features, the devs decided to try and jump the cliff otherwise known as Notation.

I grew up learning music notation as a pianist/keyboard player from 1st grade of elementary school to my 4th of college. But after that, I quit using it because it's more practical to just record what you perform as MIDI data and then edit out the mistakes in a piano roll editor, or practice practice practice and edit out your mistakes of recorded performance audio.

In other words, I haven't used music notation in over 15 years. It's not entirely intuitive, and it many ways it's a waste of time unless you play in a live band or orchestra and are assigned sheet music. But for DAW use, it's just not needed and that's probably why most DAW programs don't have it as a prominent feature or include it at all in some cases.

Every other DAW program I have used has better implementation than Reaper.
Reaper is still great for editing audio and for how it manages VST instruments and effects, but the MIDI implementation is suffering for basic usage from setting the BPM (without screwing up all the audio) to quantizing and grid settings (which are way too complex compared to every other DAW out there).

Here are the other programs I am referring to which seem to have simpler MIDI implementation:

Cakewalk Music Creator 3 (& 4)... (it was a baby version of Sonar)
MultitrackStudio Pro Plus
FL Studio
EnergyXT
Cubasis VST (it was a baby version of Cubase back in the early VST(i) days.
BitWig Studio (demo)

I don't know about Ableton Live; I've never used it.
I haven't use Logic either although I did use the German freeware Logic Fun several decades ago. But I think I only used audio in that if I remember correctly.

Also, I still don't use Linux DAW programs so I can't compare those either yet.
Nystagmus is offline   Reply With Quote