View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #37
yep
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlinmike View Post
...I'd like to hear your thoughts on placing instruments in "space" - front to back and right and left (I don't think I missed that earlier, but maybe so)...
No, I haven't talked about this too much (thanks for the kind words, BTW).

Before I get started on that, an aside on building a sense of rhythm, punch and thump from non-percussion instruments: First, foot-tapping and hand-clapping can be just as good as a drum kit. Second, if a track needs drums then it needs drums. I can no more tell you how to get a string bass and a mandolin to sounds like a kick and snare than I could tell a drummer how to get a kick and snare to sound like a string bass and mandolin. Third, if the music doesn't call for drums, but could still use a little more "punch" or "oomph", look to arrangement and performance first. An ounce of a band that sounds right in the room is worth a metric ton of recording and mixing technique. That said, all the stuff said about guitar and electric bass and everything else is relatively applicable to mandolin and string bass, vis-a-vis compression, frequency, mic placement, and all the rest of it.
yep is offline   Reply With Quote