View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #57
RJHollins
Human being with feelings

For the corners of the room, look up 'Chunky Corner Bass Traps'.

The same material used for the broadband absorbers are utilized, but with a different technique.

I used KNAUF 2" ECO rigid fiberglass [excellent substitute for Corning 703]. In FACT, it is a lot better ... minimal itch, and no obnoxious smell.

They are 2'x4' x 2" panels that are cut in half [2'x2'], then cut diagonally into 2 triangle shapes.

Basically they are then stacked into the corner, from floor to ceiling. Cover with a fabric frame.

From the REW measurements, these corner traps are great!

Some also recommend that you can flank the corner with a full sheet or rigid [2' wide] ... behind it can be filled with standard fluffy insulation. I've read that this works very well.

Along with other treatment at critical 1st reflection points, front & back walls, and ceiling clouds ... the resulting acoustic can be stunning.

By neutralizing the room and a controlled RT60, you clearly hear what the speakers are delivering, and how things translate to the outside world.

It is truly the single best investment.

To be able to hear a 1/4 or 1/2dB EQ change is just the start.

Communicating with someone else in the room is effortless, because there is no need to guess or adapt.

The ONLY issue I've found is that the room is so quiet that some comment that they are aware of the blood flow in their ears [but they get use to it]

I am loving it ... after 30+ years working in commercial studios, I finally have my own playroom. I've listened to some great work ... and then there are tracks from my youth that I loved, but have been shocked/ disappointed how they really sound :| Oh well ... That's why I had the room professional design & built ... I want to hear it like it is.

Heck, with a top mix it even sounds good on the AURATONES [like it should].
RJHollins is online now   Reply With Quote