View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #27
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
But in my research I saw its based on Python. there's even an old python script I found that converts osc to midi usin touch osc...touch osc natively does that now..right?
Ill investigate this more..thx [...]
I do like Python, if only because it's a Dutch invention (although it extensively uses dry British humor). But my py-fu sucks, to say the least. Another thing on my near infinite (and growing) to-do list. Thanks for reminding me of it.

I haven't seen that script, so please share a link if you find it again, but I *guess* it's not of much use (other than perhaps for illustrative purposes): it probably converts the OSC messages that TouchOSC sends/receives to/from MIDI to/from REAPER. What we need here is going the other way around, and should be based on the OSC configuration of REAPER - not whatever some TouchOSC layout happens to be configured to do.

And those scripts for Ableton Live may simply have died because Max for Live can now be used both for digging into the Live API and for communicating with the outside world using OSC.

Btw, from what I can tell, I don't think ReaOSC is designed to solve this particular problem. But it is indeed half the solution I described: a native app communicating with REAPER via OSC.

Fwiw, adding OSC support to an app probably isn't very hard, in comparison to getting the entire logic of the desired functionality correctly implemented. At least, that's my experience so far: using OSC commands: 1%. Logic: 10%. Making stuff look and feel slightly less ugly, more intuitive, more user friendly: 90%. Cleaning up, documenting: whatever time/energy/brain power remains. Oops, already gone past 100%...

(It's probably my own fault that I end up with 90% for for look/feel/usability: like JS, Pd may be powerful, but is notoriously ugly. Using Max would make it at least twice as easy to make things look slick. )