View Single Post
Old 03-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
Peevy
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro75 View Post
While I love Mac and it's a good choice for me - if you like to tweak things and upgrade hardware, you may find Macs frustrating. It's designed to be a closed system. You can be sure you are getting high quality, and everything is built to work together in joyous harmony - but if you want to upgrade RAM or the hard drive in the Macbook Pro is probably a challenge and might void the warranty. And I'm not sure anyone who isn't a serious techie could upgrade the processor - if it's possible at all.

I don't say this to dissuade you -- I'm a Mac lover. But I've put my hardware fiddling days behind me. To get the best (or worst) of both worlds, some people recommend the Hackintosh.
The inability to tweak wouldn't really bother me, I'd still have a few PCs sitting about the house to work at if I need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boray View Post
Vista is snappier than Ubuntu on my computer:
http://user.tninet.se/~jad615g/benchmarks/
This is totally the opposite experience I've had with Windows Vs Ubuntu/Linux. I've always found Linux to be much faster & much more responsive than Windows, I've no benchmark charts to prove it though.
Recently my daughters Netbook was unable to boot so I wiped the hd & installed the netbook version of Ubuntu & even she thought it was a lot faster than Windows XP that was on it previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE SA SA View Post
Reaper can run in linux, Windows and Mac, testings?...Reaper born for PCs so good, so bad? the best perfomance...Windows 7 64 bits OS, I´m still testing for Laps.

Saludos.
I've tried it on Linux & some days it would work great, others it would totally freeze & this was on a Ubuntu PC optimized for audio with a Real Time Kernel. Reaper does work great on Windows 7 64 bit, but I'm just not digging the OS at all. I'd love to be able to have Reaper running stable on Ubuntu but even if It did, I have a lot of VSTs that just don't work properly with Linux/Wine plus I also use Ableton Live & I'm pretty sure that doesn't run properly on Linux with Wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtomassetti View Post
When I instantiate an IK instrument as an AU, the GUIs are mostly whited out and thus unusable. But if I minimize and then restore the IK window, it looks (and functions) as it should. A minor annoyance at worst. But if I instantiate these as VSTs, they crash REAPER immediately.

So there's one case where the AU work (albeit with a little glitch) and the VSTs don't.

Go figure…
I have Amplitube 3, AT Fender & Sampletank. So I'd have to run IK plugins as AU for them to work properly in Reaper?