View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
bbgunn
Human being with feelings

OK, the new Zed R16 has arrived. I am getting the audio part of this down ok. I was able to rename the channels so I could understand the routing a little better. I can playback previously recorded projects.

I am having considerable trouble with the transport controls and midi controls, though - the part that I thought was going to be easy.

I was able to get the transport controls to work in the Cakewalk Sonar LE app that was packaged with the board, so I know the R16 is communicating ok. But I can't get Reaper to connect - I must be missing something stupid.

In Reaper preferences / midi devices I have the "Allen and Heath Firewire" MIDI input set to enable+control. There is no MIDI output for the Zed R16 which has been discussed before, so nothing needs to be set there.

Under preferences / control surfaces I added a Mackie Control Universal and selected "Allen and Heath Firewire" for midi input. Again, Midi output is set to none.

Is there more to it than this? I even went so far as to try resetting the the default midi channel as explained on page 48 of the Zed R16 manual. It comes defaulted to midi channel 16, which sets the MMC Transport control message to be an "all call" or "all device ID" message. If set to transmit on Midi channels 1 to 15, the MMC Transport control message will be specific to devices set to that midi channel. I tried several, none of them worked.

Any ideas?

edit:
NEVERMIND! I tied resetting the board back to Midi channel 16 using the button combinations they describe in the R16 manual. Rebooted the board and now it is working. Phew! My brain hurts!

Last edited by bbgunn; 05-19-2011 at 08:35 PM.
bbgunn is offline   Reply With Quote