View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #32
Eyes
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Reaper will not be in the same league as the big name DAWs anytime soon. Mainly because of business models and marketing. I don't think Cockos are interested in taking this path, which is good in my opinion.

Notice that all of the big "guys":

a) Come from much larger companies.

b) They have official (or officially endorsed) training and support, including phone support, usually in many parts of the world.

That's no small thing, when you run a business and get into trouble, it may not be your cup of tea to troubleshoot the problem through e-mails or an internet forum.

Plus, you want to be sure that you will find a lot of 3rd party training material. Reaper has gotten some of that recently, but still very little compared to the big DAWs.

c) They, almost all of them, put out hardware as well, which leverages their software. Or bundle their software with 3rd party hardware.

d) They work with artists to sponsor their software. Very important as well.

e) Being an 'industry standard' is important, and the seat's been taken. Would you rather be a certified expert in Reaper? Or perhaps in Pro Tools/Cubase/Logic? Unless you run your own business, the latter will provide you with much better work opportunities.
While that is true, many of those suggestions would require a lot of money to persue, which would require raising the cost of Reaper to generate the initial revenue required to initiate the program. Then one would have to consider if the programs would generate enough revenue to justify the initial commitment. I don't doubt Cockos would have already looked into this and made a decision based on their business plan.

I do not doubt for one moment that if Cockos made a real effort to improve the GUI, user interaction, default settings (come on guys, some of these are utterly horrible for general use, think about a new user coming to the software and how they would feel) and working on behaviour problems that make no sense to the average user - like the current area selection compared to other DAWs or the midi issues, they would generate a lot more business. Though I am also sure at some point the decisions made would suit their business plan and how they want to move forward with Reaper.
Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote