View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
LFO
Human being with feelings

I'm glad to see this is remaining civil. I wasn't sure what I might come back to. Lol!

I agree with much has been said on both sides, hence my hesitation on quickly moving forward. I'll post some thoughts on what I've read so far...

1) Hackintosh is not going to work, even for a hobbyist like me. Administration is not quite a nightmare, but darn close and support for any apps running on it (let alone finicky *audio* apps and drivers) would be non-existent. A great place to play if that is what you want to do, but at this point not for much more. Sadly.

2) Pricing is always a topic of interest. I don't have time right now to do it, but I will post some of my pricing with comparisons to the best Mac deals (i.e. using OtherWorldComputing for upgrades to memory, disk, etc.) The numbers do a great deal of talking, but maybe not in the way you would think they would. They certainly didn't for me!

3) The idea of doing just audio on a PC and video/multimedia on an iMac is becoming more appealing. So is the idea of keeping the majority (perhaps everything but the OS) of storage outside the box attached to Firewire or USB3. There are some interesting ways I could get this done and have my own little cloud in my house. Lol!

4) I love OSX. I loved XP, but it lacked in many areas that finally drove me to Mac in the first place. Windows 7 has changed that game and I can see me liking Win 7 almost as much as I like OSX. Problem is, as much as I love OSX it isn't enough to justify the cost of the hardware. Again with the

5) I really hated losing some VIs when I moved to Mac. Tone2, some Voxengo, etc.

6) I've been building Windows boxes since 1984. I had my own business and put myself through college selling 286, 386 and the the mighty 486 (!) to small to medium sized engineering firms, etc. I keep up fairly well with hardware (though my job now focuses on large RISK and CICS systems) and this world has really upped the ante in the past few years. DRM, cache, bus speed, proximity of memory to CPU, etc. have all gotten wacko cool. (That is a technical term. Look it up!) With Apple moving to Intel the hardware wars become pretty much moot, but the OS is still a significant differentiator. Love OSX or hate it, it is an efficient OS with a great UI. No registry, no need for chkdsk, USB updating automatically when you move USB based peripherals, etc. (The last might be fixed in Win7, not sure.)

So, I appreciate the feedback and it has led to me considering more what direction to take. Sorry, this post began to ramble. I'll post the pricing stuff later today or tomorrow and see what you all think of it.

-Kevin