View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #17
Jim Roseberry
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul&folk View Post
I've been using a studio projects B1 and recently bought a B3 too that I haven't had a chance to check out yet. The B1 sounds bright to my ears though I've been told to use proximity to achieve deeper sounds.

Can you suggest a few $100 - $200 mics that are warmer?

I've been thinking about one from Kel Audio HM-1 for this purpose based on what they say.
http://www.kelaudio.com/hm1.html

I've also just picked up an inexpensive Nady ribbon mic RSM-4 (paid $70) with the intention of capturing more mids and lows.

The Studio Projects B series mics use a 3-micron diaphragm.
This makes the B series great for capturing subtle detail.
IOW, You get the size imparted by the large diaphragm... and the detail typically associated with a small diaphragm mic.
This also means they aren't the warmest of all mics...
BTW, The B series is excellent on acoustic guitar!

Finding great/warm sounding mics in the $100-$200 range is tough.
The Kel is a good choice.
I can't think of too many 'budget' mics that sound particularly warm/dark/detailed in the same vein as an AKG C12 (about $5k).
At the $1k mark, the Neuman TLM103 is a good bet... but it wouldn't have the tube 'mojo' of the C12.
The Studio Projects T3 is warm sounding... with a little tube crunch/zing in the mids.

As has been mentioned, don't overlook using good dynamic mics.
- RE20
- MD421
- SM57

As far as 'warm' sounding mic pre's, I wouldn't bother with budget units. They're typically "starved voltage" design... and will impart more distortion than size/warmth.
The Brick is pretty decent... and the UA Solo 610 is also very nice.

Jim Roseberry
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com
Jim Roseberry is offline   Reply With Quote