View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #432
Smurf
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking allowed View Post
In my town, 9 bands out of 10 think they're good enough to record live. Do you have any tips on the 'rattling snare' that happens during live recording in a small room?.....I swear that better drummers (with more expensive kits) don't have this problem as much. Am I crazy?
FINALLY, a question I know something about!

The best trick I have used, being a drummer, to get rid of that rattle is to de-tune 1 lug that is right beside the snare bed. It usually only takes 1 turn, but by slacking the head tension at the point where the strainer comes off of the snare bed, it releases a lot of the tension across the head that is directly under the snares, without affecting the tone of the snares like taping, or putting small pieces of napkin or cloth between the snares and the head.

Also, the better kits have better tolerances on the bearing edges of the shell, and the angle & depth of the snare bed itself, thus making the better drum set easier to tune.

Hope this helps!

PS-And moodswinger I will send a PM you in a few min...