View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
Gooey
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Ape View Post
Sure, this works fine as long as you can avoid latency. I wouldn't use any of Reaper's built-in reverbs or choruses but there's some interesting delays at least. It ought to work like in an effects loop like pedals would - guitar->preamp or amp head->fx loop to interface into reaper and out->back into amp or cabinet, unless are you looking to record into Reaper at the final stage.

It's kind of unwieldy though - more trouble than it's worth to me after some experiments. It has the disadvantages of both actual amp recording and of simulation while canceling most of out the benefits of either. It's interesting that you have such a distate for amp simulation yet you want digital reverb, as the two are so intertwined.
I don't see it that way at all. When compared to normal studio recording, it is basically exactly the same as using a guitar, stomp box delay, chorus, etc. into an amp, except for the necessity of having the computer present. But for anyone who's recording to computer, the computer would have to be there anyway. So where's the difference - what actual disadvantages of actual amp recording and of simulation? Canceling out what benefits of either? I also don't see how digital reverb is intertwined with amp simulation (other than the fact that ones and zeros are involved in both cases). If it turns out that it would be beneficial to utilize a dedicated computer just to do the effects (in addition to the recording computer), I wouldn't care about that either. I'm awash in computers here.

Do you have any reason to expect there to be appreciable latency? It seems to me that there wouldn't be, since delay-based effects seem like they'd only very lightly load the computer (at least compared to say, full-on amp simulation). But I suppose that I'd need to try it, eh? I was just hoping that somebody out there would be doing this (for the same reasons why I want to do it - high resolution and low noise), and that I could benefit by hearing about things that worked out well or poorly, before I go to the hassle of setting stuff up.
Gooey is offline   Reply With Quote