View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 04:16 AM   #11
LOSER
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe View Post
OK, I thought it was needed to get the release on the envelope right, but I guess you could just convert that value then.
Yes in this case and the envelope follower I choose, but you can use any envelope follower you want (or none at all, but then the whole thing will be inaccurate as hell imo, hmm.. I guess I just got an idea ... ).

What it really does though is, it "looks" at the slope of the signals loudness. So for a transient you get an increase in loudness, thus the slope is positive, thus the RMS increases from the previous to the current block. Now it looks if this increase is enough to say it has detected a transient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe View Post
Well right now I'm just messing around with a drum plug-in idea, so for this purpose it seems this approach will work just fine. However, I also have an idea where detecting transients in an electric guitar signal (clean, line in, no distorsion or fx) is crucial. Do you think this way of doing it will work in that case as well?

Regards,
- Jonas
This method only takes in to consideration the loudness, that is the envelope, so if you can clearly see the transient in the waveform display it might work, if you can't see it in the waveform display, or have to do some guess work yourself then it most likely will fail badly.
LOSER is offline   Reply With Quote