View Single Post
Old 10-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kiss View Post
So I’ve been messing around with the trial version of Reaper and really enjoying the experience. But what I’m wondering is this:

“Is it possible to take one of the songs I completed in Sonar 7 and then newly mix and master it in Reaper?”

For some reason, whenever I exported projects from Sonar the main volume would always be quite low. So I’d like to see how Reaper handles this.

Thanks!
Yes it is, I'd say your best bet is to export all of your individual tracks from Sonar as wave files, import them individually into Reaper into a new project and start afresh. That gives you maximum flexibility, and will let you take full advantage of Reaper's superior mixing features like routing

BUT .... there is no reason why your mixes in Sonar need to have a low volume. I suspect you're missing a trick somewhere, and until you figure out what it is you'll probably find that your Reaper mixes are too quiet also. In other words, if your mixes from Sonar are too quiet, I doubt whether that's because of any issue with Sonar, more likely something you're not doing.

For example, you should ensure that the mix of track signals sent to your master is fairly robust. You might also wish to use a touch of final EQ (ReaEQ), multiband compressor (ReaXComp)and a limiter (such as JS LOSER Master Limiter) to polish them up. How you do this will depend as much on the style of music as anything else.

Good luck, hope these suggestions are helpful
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote