View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
BenK-msx
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul&folk View Post
I recently bought a used dd55 and so far so good. Haven't had much time to experiment with it yet but it seems like it'll do the trick. I don't expect perfect dynamics but something tells me that using various weight sticks will be part of coaxing some dynamics out of this.

Another thing to know - the pedals that come with this are little plastic things. I plan on buying some pedals designed for serious electronic drums eventually.
hi,
to partially quote a previous post of mine:

i used a dd55 for a while -
toptip! (IMO)
change the 'pad sensitivity' setting, from the default on power up of 1, to 2, for highest dynamic range and far better response, particularly for sticks/rolls etc. am not sure if its remembered after a power-down/ac removed, so you may have to set it when you power up/plug in.

check the manual as you have to press two buttons at the same time, then a 3rd - have a look: here it is in fact (google huh?!):

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...LATION&LGFL=Y#

I butchered my dd55 for its pads - they are quite easy to remove.. (yank em). some are now having a new better life as 'cymbal pads' for my diy mesh head edrum setup...

IMO I believe you can get better response by plugging the pads direct in to an audio input and using ktdrumtrigger or drumagog type fx etc. to trigger a drum vsti.
bit of eq and maybe compression on the signal and you can get really good response.
I have done things that way as even if my homebrew triggers are not perfect i can tweak the signal far more than any drum brain would allow to achieve a good response. downside is 8 or more audio inputs are taken up, but I saved shed loads!

hope that helps. enjoy.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 09-22-2009 at 12:28 PM.
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote