View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Cybolic
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper installer for Linux

Heya folks!

I thought I'd contribute to the Reaper Linux crowd by making our favourite software a little easier to install, so I would like to present to you, LinReaper.

LinReaper will do the following for you:
  • Automatically downloads and installs the newest Reaper version available from the website, or installs from a previously downloaded Reaper installation exe.
  • Installs Reaper in a bottled Wine directory (does not mess with the rest of your system)
  • Sets up a local installation of WineAsio (again does not mess with the rest of your system)
  • Registers file types of .rpp, rpp.bak and .reapeak files (with custom icons), so you can simply double click Reaper files
  • Sets up a wrapper script around Reaper enabling it to accept normal UNIX command-line options and paths
  • Sets up a wrapper script around Reaper to transform Reaper's configuration files to follow Unix/Freedesktop guidelines and allow automatic multi-user configurations
  • Minimally configures the Reaper preferences for better Linux operation
  • Optionally creates menu shortcuts
  • Includes a tool (LinReaper Options) for installing and managing your Windows VSTs, JS effects, using Reapers more esoteric options and for advanced configuration of Wine
  • Intelligently links the Wine folders "Desktop", "My Documents", "My Music", "My Pictures" and "My Videos" to their Linux counterparts

In many regards, LinReaper is like Google's Picassa Linux port.

LinReaper requires Wine, Python, PyGTK (most distributions have these) and likes to also have the full 7Zip.

If you are using Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu, Mint or Debian, the following should install everything you need:
Code:
sudo apt-get install python-glade2 p7zip-full
sudo apt-get install wine
If the Cockos team is up for it, it would be very easy for me to change this into an actual Linux installer for Reaper, but I believe I have to get a green light first to not get into legal trouble.

Latest version is here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/278272/Linux/LinReaper0.87.run

To use, double click the downloaded file and select "Run" if asked - you might also need to make the file executable by right clicking it and selecting Properties then the Permissions tab and checking "Allow executing file as a program".

Changes in the latest version:
  • Works with latest Wine again (no more problems with the path to "Program Files")
  • Downloading the latest version of Reaper automatically works again

Last edited by Cybolic; 05-29-2014 at 06:41 AM. Reason: New version
Cybolic is offline   Reply With Quote