Thread: Best CPU?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 03:14 PM   #168
mikeroephonics
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
I have found brand new 1155 motherboards going for under £40 today (look on Amazon for a start). No need to pay for bells and whistles.
It's strictly for DAW use. No gaming. The only reason I needed to get another mainboard is because my DAW mainboard of over 5 years of use died last week. As far as I know, all other computer components still work. I sure HOPE that's the case. I'll find out by Wednesday night after I build the new computer.

Do you know if any of the LGA 1155 boards you've seen for under £40 have been road tested for DAW use? I mainly run VST(i) FX in REAPER. It's basically a REAPER, Spectrasonics (everything), Kontakt & Toontrack Superior Drummer rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennetng View Post
Agreed.
Intel "Z" chipsets support overclocking for "K" CPUs, but for non-overclockers,
Fortunately, I don't OC the 2600K, but I don't understand what you mean by this.

Quote:
Agreed. H61 is the minimun requirement for 2600K.
The minimum for anyone considering doing overclocking?

Quote:
Alternative chipsets include H67, P67, Z68, B75, Q77, H77 and Z77. If you use Intel's integrated graphics, also take a look at the motherboard's video output connectors (VGA/DVI/DP/HDMI) and see if they suit your monitor or not.
Thanks for this information! I was trying to locate it on Intel's website. The chipset in my previous (now dead) DAW mainboard was the Intel P67. The mainboard was an Asus P8P67 Pro rev3.1, and it worked perfectly until last week. Do you know if there are any issues or conflicts with these or newer Intel chipsets within the context of DAW use? My Asus board is a revision because it includes a revision of the Intel P68 chipset. As some may remember, Intel messed up something with this chipset's SATA II controller and it needed to be recalled.

More info here if this issue is still relevant to anybody:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2589

Last edited by mikeroephonics; 05-07-2017 at 04:35 PM.
mikeroephonics is offline   Reply With Quote