View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Warmachine
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr123 View Post
Howdy Warmachine,
I experienced the same thing when I first started recording using Reaper in an Open Labs machine. The CD's I recorded were always too quiet when listening in the car and I had to cranck up the volume just to hear. As a resolve, someone recommended downloading AUDACITY (free by the way) and using it for fine tuning my music.
When I opened the music file in Audacity, I noticed that the stereo "wave" looked very thin...almost anemic. But when I "normalized" the file.....it expanded to a very fine and loud wave form. When I made a CD using this new file......the CD played just as loud as any other commercial CD I have.....or the radio, for that matter.
Audacity also has an "amplify" feature that could be used.....but I don't know what the difference is between it and "normalize" (I'm not THAT savy, unfortunately).
I also noticed that when I record tracks in Reaper, although the levels are set for full volume.....I never have the imput levels high enough to record instruments to their full potential. Unfortunately, I record everything using headphones and always have the volume levels set far too low in order to hear when recording. However, when I choose to use the Open Labs provided recording "templates"...the volumes are always full and quite different from any project recorded when I start a project from scratch. I found that if the recorded levels are too low, the finished product will reflect. You'll be able to notice if they ARE too low when you render your track. The "wave" that shows when rendering will either be anemic looking or robust/full. I don't know if this is helpful or not....but I thought I'd share. SCR123
Thanks man! Sounds exactly like what im dealing with! If i remember right goldwave has something similar to that as well and i have the full version of it so i'll check it out! Yeah it does just like you said, either extremely thin looking or a 1000.99 on the richter scale haha. Thanks dude
Warmachine is offline   Reply With Quote