View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #16
JMills
Human being with feelings

I knew as soon as I saw the title of this thread, J was going to be the first dude answering.

No, seriously - since this has migrated to a(nother) discussion about the artistic merits of the "T-Pain voice", I have to add my 2c: What's all the hate about? I mean, look - anyone who's using this for the reasons parodied in the video kristen posted, yeah, they should know that it's more used up than an old tube sock. But there are a million applications for this that don't have anything to do with Hip-Hop/R&B/Rap/whatever you want to call it.

Personally, I hate the sound of my own voice. I will do anything I can to mangle and twist it into being more of an instrument and less of a voice. Maybe I'm a bit of a Kid A-era Radiohead nerd, but I love vocal deconstruction. I love the way the "T-Pain voice" sounds when there's like 3 or 4 tracks of it in harmony, not all synced up together necessarily, with granular-filter delay, heavy reverb, and light overdrive. It sounds nothing like the "T-Pain voice" when I get done with it. But the building block of it is in fact the "T-pain voice", so I have to know how to start.

If I ignore a weapon in my creative arsenal just because it has some stigma attached to it or because it has some commonly used application, why am I laying down tracks at all? I mean, I get the disdain coming from the Metal/Hard-Rock community - this has very little if any application in that field. But I think that just about anyone else making any other kind of music should be thinking about how to bend this to your will rather than just saying "Don't do it". It'd be like me saying "Zappa used a talkbox, there will never again be any other application for a talkbox other than what Zappa did", and throwing my talkbox away. Just seems, I don't know, premature.

OK, rant over, I'll go back to my corner now
JMills is offline   Reply With Quote