View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 AM   #2178
Figas
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by yep View Post
For big, explosive, powerful drum compression..
Thanks Yep! Actually, Addictive Drums has a "tape saturation" feature. Never quite considered that aproach, since the idea wasn't to make it sound too hot, nor even hot, just present and thick.

The things is that I'm not using compression at all over the whole kit, just some comp piece by piece, and some overall very very light compression, all of it coming from the kit's preset.
Everytime I compress it myself, I can't get a good balance between, let's say, threshold and attack/release. It always come out un-natural somehow, with the compressor being too much noticeable.
Having analised a friend of mine's track, who's actually a sound engineer, I think he uses quite fast attack and very quick release, but heavy threshold, but even that leaves me a bit unsatisfied..

I've lowered the overheads volume, in order to get some more overall headroom, and push the kickdrum a bit harder, balacing it using "average perceived volume" with the bass guitar, which came out fine, but perhaps better even?

Anyway, I'll try the tape sat idea. AND it's ok, you don't have to restate all the previously stated recording awesomeness You've mentioned before, heheheh! I read it all quite recently, and ahve it very fresh and usable.

Thank ou very very much for the whole thread!
Figas is offline   Reply With Quote