View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 07:19 AM   #36
ThePulse
Human being with feelings

Haha when I saw that title I was seriously gonna respond with "By Pressing the Record Button" lol.

It sounds like you're bridging the means of writing and recording together. And in the case of writing a song...everyone's way is different. No one way works better than another.

But in terms of Recording/Producing...

I know I like to get my rhythm section in first and foremost (Drums, Basses and sometimes Rhythmic Guitars). Doesn't happen like this 100% of the time, but these are essential to me as they form the spine of my song body.

I then start to work in whatever main melodic instruments I hear(ed) in my head, tweaking the sounds meticulously as I go. They, to me, are the muscle structure of the song body.

After the main structure of the song is built I then start to introduce the vocals, atmospherics, reverbs & delays, accenting instruments and so forth. This would be my skin.

And then at the very end I do my mixing and mastering. This serves as that Versace suite that you thought you couldn't afford at $2500, but then one day while strolling through the mall you saw it on sale for $1250 and bought it; and then at the next function you attended you wore it, were the life of the party, and when people gave you the look...you shot one right back and said "How you doin'?"

Make it work.