View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Fabian
Human being with feelings

OK doc, let's see, it was some time since I did this. Luckily I have a "virgin" computer right here...

You downloaded sfz197.exe from the link provided by DerMeister, ok? I did that just now. Then you double clicked on it, and installed it in some dir. I forgot to say, you have to set the Reaper VST plugin path to point to this directory. You do this under Options | Preferences | Plugins | VST. Rescan the directory. Now sfz should be available as an FX. Ok?

Now for the drum sounds. Download the PCDrums, see previous post. Run and install. You should get a file PC Drums 42a.sfpack. Now, you will also need this http://www.personalcopy.com/sfpack.htm. Install it in the same dir as you have your sfpack file. Run sfpack.exe, and load the PC Drums sfpack. Click Go! and a file PC Drums 42a.sf2 will be generated (I agree, this is really stupid, too much work, but it is the way it is). This file, the sf2-file you can no load into your sfz plugin. Ok?

You might get the dreaded "Not enough memory" error (I did!). If so, try different modes for the sfz (see also here http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...&highlight=sfz). Once it's loaded it seems you can change the mode back. If you get problems with delay, try different mode.

Now for some MIDI. Insert a MIDI item on the track (menu Insert | New MIDI Item). Double click this item, and a piano roll will show wit ha grid to its right. Click the C2 key. You should hear a bass drum beat. Ok? And D2 will give you a snare drum, right?

Notice that depending on where you click the key, left to right, you will have differently hard hits.

Now, double click in the grid. This should produce a small black rectangle, as well as a drum beat corresponding to the piano key to the left. Ok? You can put in such rectangles where you want. Put in for both the bass drum and the snare. When you're satisfied, close the MIDI window, and run your track. You should hear drumming, and you have just produced your first MIDI sequence. Ok?

Now, play around with this. Read up on MIDI. Search the forum. have fun.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote