View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Xenakios
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretto View Post
I think what you fail to realize is that it's a separate problem and could be implemented side by side with using the GPU.
You fail to realize it's a massive problem to adapt audio processing code to GPUs at large scale. (What I mean by that : get a substantial number of audio effects and instruments running on it, not just some random curiosities.) And it would be work that wouldn't have much other benefit than just getting the code to run on the GPU hardware. (AMP, OpenCL etc are interesting technologies for sure, but they are no magic bullets.)

You sure seem to be passionate about it. If you think it's such a great idea, how about you try developing something of your own? We can then discuss how much time and effort you spent on designing and refining the actual audio processing and how much time and effort went just to adapt the processing designs/algorithms for running on GPUs...It would also be interesting to know what kind of a support burden the GPU support is. (There being dozens of models of gfx cards on the market with different capabilities and so on.)