Thread: Real Time CPU
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Spectralis
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rd View Post
Neither Reaper or any other DAW can load distribute what a plugin does. The plugin needs to coded to do that itself. I'm not familiar with SynthMaster but I'm guessing that setting it to "best" mode it is using 4 or 8 times oversampling and possibly a different more intensive code path. However, it also seems that SynthMaster has not been coded to use multiple CPUs so it never will.
Ok, if I understand you correctly then each plugin needs to be coded to use multiple cpus? This seems odd because when I edit video or use audio FX in Vegas or Premiere Pro they distribute the load over all six cores. In fact they offer settings to adjust CPU and RAM load. In which case it is the host that controls these parameters. Evidently Reaper is unable to do this.

I checked the latency of my computer using DPC Latency Checker which reports that my PC is able to handle real time streaming of audio and video data without drop outs. I know this to be the case because I've never had a problem with very complex projects in Vegas and After Effects. Even when I use CUDA acceleration at the same time there is no problem so all that data shunting is not the problem.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

UPDATE: From a SOS article:

"Developers told me that although most instruments and plug-ins run as several threads, they have no control over how these are distributed among the available cores. This is totally managed by the host application, and according to all the tests I carried out while researching this feature, most audio applications treat each mono/stereo audio track (or soft-synth/sampler track), plus associated plug-in effects, as a single task, and allocate it to a single processor core. You can easily confirm this for your own applications using Task Manager (see the 'Checking Your Tasks' box) and systematically adding a series of demanding plug-ins to the same audio track. I suggest a convolution reverb with the longest Impulse Response you can find."

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan0...ician_0108.htm

Last edited by Spectralis; 04-26-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Spectralis is offline   Reply With Quote