View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #21
Stu
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I should add one thing... After I made that post I went back and tried some of my own suggestions and I did come to one sobering conclusion. Most small and even some bigger monitors simply don't get loud enough, that's much of the issue. In otherwords I cranked the mids etc and it worked but was still a little lacking, I turned up the monitors and they began overloading before I could get to "loud enough". Part of that not loud enough is the fact they don't put out the ideal feedback sonics because they are full range speakers but it was also simply not enough SPLs.
This is why I suggest using a speaker 8" or larger, I've gone through this whole thing myself and speaker size seemed to be one of the deciding factors on whether it would generate feedback or not, presumably due to the larger size producing more movement and vibration of the strings.

The method I described above worked fine for me, took some experimentation with the gain and volume but I was able to get nice feedback without having to crank my 'proper' amp to ear crushing (and neighbour annoying) levels.

Edit: thinking about it, the only time I've managed to get good, controllable feedback while tracking from a control room was one time in a place where they had huge midfield monitors with 10" mid drivers, seems to confirm what I was saying but perhaps it was incredibly loud too, it was many years ago now.

Last edited by Stu; 01-05-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote