View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #2175
Figas
Human being with feelings

Greetings everyone!!

I believe it might be a little frustrating for Yep for someone to undig this thread again, but only today I ended up reading the whole thing (including the last massive guitarwise posts n'stuff)

As Mr Joe Blow, I immediatly identified with the actual topic of this thread, and cannot thank Mr Yep enough for sharing such a huge ammount of valuable information!
I intend to put here some of the material I've lattely recorded, following as much of your input as possible, so that i can have some feedback.

For now, I wanted to know if you are already able to share some ideas on drum compression, since it's a topic that has been stared at least two times i can recall, but never actually quite discussed.
In order to not sound so vague, my specific question is: I use, as someone else here, Addictive Drums VSTi, which I cannot complain whatsoever. It does what it does, and its ok of me.

My problem is when trying to achieve a wrather.. powerfull drum sound. Not godly like, just not as thin as I'm achieving right now.
I tried to fool a bit around with compression, using the principles that you've taught here, but every time I've done so, I've applied it to the full drum stack, and not individual pieces (i kind of relied on the standard settings their standard kits bring for that), but the result is always the same: it's like the compressor is trying to moderate a discussion between cymbals and toms/kick/snare, making the overall sound an unbearable spl caos...
I can stop doing that, and compress/treat every single piece as one untill i get a good compromise, or is there any info you can lend some on this?

Thanks in advance for your support! More to come latter.

Cheers!
Figas
Figas is offline   Reply With Quote